How the claims process works

Compensation for Road Traffic Accident Injuries

Road Traffic Accidents

There's no getting away from the fact that the roads in Britain can be dangerous places. Every day, many people are injured or even killed in road traffic accidents (RTAs) and the sad truth is that, no matter how careful and disciplined you, as a driver, are there's a chance that mistakes by other road users could lead to you being involved in an accident. There's simply no guarantee that every other road user will drive safely and so, no matter how much attention you pay, you might find yourself involved in an RTA.

Injured in a RTA?

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a road traffic accident then there's a chance you may end up suffering from serious injuries. Whether you're a driver, a passenger or even a pedestrian, being involved in a RTA could lead to personal injuries or illness which will affect you for the rest of your life. Major injuries caused by RTA's could include brain damage, paralysis, severe disfigurement or, in the very worst case, death. Even an RTA which might be considered 'minor', such as a low speed collision or a slow shunt from behind can lead to long term injuries such as broken bones or whiplash. These more minor physical injuries, whilst damaging in and of themselves, may also be accompanied by mental trauma which would prevent the sufferer from leading a full and satisfying life.

Win compenation for your road accident injuries

It's clear then that, if you've been involved an RTA which wasn't your fault, you should be entitled to make a claim for compensation. This claim will take the form of a no win no fee case which means that, in the event of losing your claim, you won't be called upon to meet the expenses of the other side. The compensation you claim will be paid by the insurance company of the person who was at fault or, in the event of an accident caused by a poorly maintained driving surface, from the local authority with responsibility for the road.

Even if the person at fault in your accident turns out not to be insured, or flees the scene of the accident and cannot be traced, you should still be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation. The Motor Insurers Bureau is designed specifically to deal with such cases and has an Untraced Drivers' Arrangement and an Uninsured Drivers' Agreement, either one of which will be able to cover an accident for which no other party can be made responsible. What this means is that, no matter what the circumstances of your particular accident, you will still be able to claim and receive the compensation which will help start the process of getting you back on your feet again.

Clearly, no amount of monetary compensation can truly make up for the trauma, pain and suffering of being involved in a serious road traffic accident, but it can be a major step in the right direction. Although the precise amount of compensation will depend upon the specific type and severity of the injuries which you've received, it could help go towards paying for private medical treatment, or covering the myriad out of pocket expenses that can follow a car accident, such as transport costs and prescription medication. If the RTA has an effect upon your ability to go to work and earn a living, then the compensation will be calculated in such a way as to replace both previous and future lost earnings, and can also pay for any long term care you may require. In the case of a fatality, compensation can help to provide for any dependants left behind.

To get in touch with an expert legal adviser, simply fill in the short form on this page or call the freephone telephone number: 0800 234 6438. They will be able to give you the best advice about your situation and start the claim process today. is a trading name of Colour Ventures Ltd, which is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities. Registration is recorded on the website